Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Fish Chowder

Wow, I never thought I could make this without Onions, Celery, and pork fat. Luckily for me, I made a fantastic whole red snapper on the grill and I made stock with the leftovers. I seasoned the fish heavily with my special all-seasoning, brushed it with oil and put it on the grill. The grill was a charcoal grill. I don't think it's the seasoning or the veggies I used in the stock have anything to do with making this chowder; it was the fish bones, head and skin that was left.



Ingredients
serves 6
1 T oil
1 teaspoon of butter
3 Cups Fish Stock
1 Cup of sea clam juice
1 cup of chopped clams
3 large Yukon Potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Old Bay (or paprika, or cayenne)
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of white fish. Cod, Tilapia, halibut,
1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
1 T chives, chopped
2 medium yellow onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup of dry white wine

The last two ingredients are red and I did not use them in my recipe because they are on the list. I think they would make the dish.
  1. Heat oil and butter in the bottom of a large pot on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened (5 min.) Add the wine and turn up the heat. Cook uncovered until the wine reduces by half. (if you don't want to use wine, try 1/2 cup of water.
  2. Add potatoes, stock, clam juice, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and Old Bay spice. The potatoes should be barely covered with the liquid in the pot. If not add, water so that they are.) Lower the heat to medium and cook covered, until potatoes are almost done, 10-15 minutes.
  3. Heat the cream in a separate pot (don't boil)
  4. Add the fish to the potatoes and add the heated cream. Return to t stove. Cook on low heat, uncovered until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach after 6 minutes. Keep your eye on the heat. (hopefully you are using heavy cream...if you are not, it will curdle close to boiling)Keep the temperatue so that it barely gets steamy, but not simmering. When fish is cooked just enough, remove from heat.
  5. Mix in the chopped herbs. Let soup sit for 30 minutes.
Serve it with crusty bread.


.


.














1 comment:

  1. My husband likes to top this with shredded parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete