- Heat oil and butter in the bottom of a large pot on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened (5 min.) Add the wine and turn up the heat. Cook uncovered until the wine reduces by half. (if you don't want to use wine, try 1/2 cup of water.
- Add potatoes, stock, clam juice, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and Old Bay spice. The potatoes should be barely covered with the liquid in the pot. If not add, water so that they are.) Lower the heat to medium and cook covered, until potatoes are almost done, 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the cream in a separate pot (don't boil)
- Add the fish to the potatoes and add the heated cream. Return to t stove. Cook on low heat, uncovered until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach after 6 minutes. Keep your eye on the heat. (hopefully you are using heavy cream...if you are not, it will curdle close to boiling)Keep the temperatue so that it barely gets steamy, but not simmering. When fish is cooked just enough, remove from heat.
- Mix in the chopped herbs. Let soup sit for 30 minutes.