Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Split Pea Soup


Who needs ham? pppffftt! This recipe came from my Dr.'s elimination diet. I simply added some more spices. I brought some to her because I loved the taste; Let's just say it's "kid tested, mother approved."


Split Pea Soup
Serves 6


3 cups dry split peas, well rised
2 quarts water
1tsp salt
1 bay leaf
½ - 1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 onions chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced (I chopped them)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar

Combine peas, water, salt, bay leaf, and mustard in 6-quart pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes. Add vegetables and spices except for salt and pepper, and simmer for another 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed. Add salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I dare you to add a tablespoon of curry, and cayenne pepper to your tolerance of heat. Afraid? try 1/2 teaspoon. Bold? go for 2 teaspoons.

    ReplyDelete